Friday, April 11, 2008

Quantam Leap and Growing Organs - Week 4

So, I thought it would be cool to document this journey all the way through.

For those of you who don’t know, Jennifer and I found out last Wednesday that we were having a baby. It’s about time, we’ve been trying for 7 months. We’re really excited, but it’s still so surreal that it’s hard to grasp what’s really going on. Jenn has made a doctor’s appointment to get some blood drawn and to go through some of her questions with the doctor and I’ve been looking at baby stuff online all week.

She hasn’t been in a bad mood or very nauseous, but she has been very tired. Her body is busy building another life and she’s had to cut back her caffeine intake, so it’s a double-whammy. The other day we went to Starbucks. She got a tall and I got a venti, which was the last time I’m going to get to do that. She said that I couldn’t get a big drink if she had to get a little baby one.

Jennifer has also has started to drink her recommended 64oz. of water per day. The result is an almost constant need to go to the bathroom. As she is laying on the couch watching "Quantam Leap" (lame) she has gotten up to pee on both of the last two commercial breaks.

Aside from that, everything here has been great. We’ve had a lot of fun together this week, and we’ve been giving Dakota a lot of attention so she won’t feel so neglected later on.

This is technically week 4 of the pregnancy, and according to our new friend BabyCenter.com, little baby Garner is in the beginning of the embryonic period. From now until ten weeks, all of the baby’s organs will begin to develop and some will even begin to function. As a result, this is the time when she’ll be most vulnerable to anything that might interfere with her development.

By the way, the baby is a "her" right now because the sex isn’t determined yet. We all start out as girls, that’s why boys have nipples.

Being involved in this whole process, I wonder how people could possible think of an unborn child as just a mass of cells. If you have bought into this lie, you should look at some of these development charts available online. Organs, fingers, toes, eyes, everything is being developed. In just a couple of weeks, this baby will look like a little person. It’s absolutely amazing. It’s comforting to know that God said in Jeremiah 1:5, "I knew you before I formed you in your mother’s womb."

Well, that’s all for this week, I’ll let you know how next week goes.

See you later...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My brother's havin' a baby!

Awesome.

Granny said...

Granny and Grandpa Garner that this is the coolest site ever!! Thank you for thinking of it--maybe it won't seem like we're missing too much!

Sam said...

I am so happy for you guys! I am glad that the "Croy" boys will have a Garner cousin to grow up with. I know that it was a wonderful thing for me and the sisters and I know it will be for all of our kids!