Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Radar, Get In Here! (Week 11)

Hello again.

Okay, so I began this thing posting late Tuesday Nights so that they were up for Wednesday. 
Well, my Tuesdays seem to be filling up lately (with my Tuesday Night Ride Group) and I haven't been getting the posts done until Wednesday. So, today, I'm making the executive decision to move my post time to Wednesday evening. So there...

Now, back to our baby-life. This week has been a lot of fun. Work has been pretty rough on Jenn lately. She's been really tired and going in pretty late, then crashing early in the afternoon. So, it was good for her that Memorial Day gave us a long weekend. Lots of time to rest...

Except that we were so busy over the weekend that we were exhausted by the time the work week came back around. Our big goal for the weekend was the nursery. What used to be our office is being converted to a nursery and Jenn wanted to get a lot of the necessary work in there knocked out over the holiday. Since we already had an idea of what we were going to do in there, we headed to Lowe's on Friday to pick up supplies for the project. 

We picked our paint colors and took them to the counter and asked if we could get these colors in a low-VOC paint. For those of you who don't know, VOC stands for Volitale Organic Compounds. The short explanation is that VOCs are what make new paint smell really bad. If you can get low-VOC paint, though, it doesn't smell bad and is not harmful to the fetus (so Jenn can help me paint). Unfortunately, the colors we liked could not be duplicated in the low-VOC, so I was destined to paint the nursery by myself. The walls are green with a brown stripe around the top and the ceiling will be either pink or blue, depending on the baby's sex. If I do say so myself, I think I did a fantastic job.



Now, it's not done. I need to do the border between the green and the brown and the ceiling won't be done for another couple of weeks, but it's a start. 

So, we spent much of Memorial Day with me painting and listening to my newest podcasts (in peace) and Jenn coming in occasionally with her tee shirt pulled up over her nose and mouth, looking like Radar coming in while Hawkeye was performing surgery (if you missed the MASH reference, leave this place now).

Finally the room got done (well, sort of) and we've gotten it all cleaned out. Sara (my sister) and Jason (her fiance) came over and picked through some of our stuff, took a little and left the rest of it to go to Goodwill. 

In this whole process, Jenn didn't yell at me, throw anything, smart off, or cry about anything at all. She was quite the little trooper. 

According to BabyCenter.com, "Your baby, just over 1 1/2 inches long and about the size of a fig, is now almost fully formed. His hands will soon open and close into fists, tiny tooth buds are beginning to appear under his gums, and some of his bones are beginning to harden.

He's already busy kicking and stretching, and his tiny movements are so effortless they look like water ballet. These movements will become more frequent as his body grows and becomes more developed and functional. You won't feel your baby's acrobatics for another month or two — nor will you notice the hiccupping that may be happening now that his diaphragm is forming.

The whole process is still so amazing to me.

See you next week!

No comments: