Monday, August 24, 2009

New Tricks


It seems like everyday Mady is learning something new. Michael and I find ourselves stunned when she does these things. We ask each other, "Did you teach her that?". Here's a break down of some of her recent accomplishments.

In the past few weeks, she has begun waving. Its great! When she sees someone she likes, or she gets attention from a stranger, she flaps her arm at them in a uncontrollable, 'I'm so happy that all of my energy is escaping through this one arm' kind of way.

Almost everyday I watch an old episode of Gilmore Girls. In the intro, there is a Carol King song, 'Where you Lead', and I sing along to Mady. Last week, when the song came on, Mady started bobbing up and down and waving her arms. She was DANCING! I was so excited! The next day I showed Michael and we played the song over and over just watching her dance the whole time. It was great. I think she gets her moves from Michael because I'm not as good of a dancer as she is.

***This is a little off topic but I have to share*** I hope she become a fan of great older music like Carol King, The Carpenters, The Beatles, David Gates and (especially) James Taylor. The first song she ever heard was 'You've got a Friend' by James Taylor. It was one of those moments that you know you'll remember for the rest of your life. It was the morning after she was born, Michael and I were just staring at her with the music in the background and the morning light shining brightly through the window. She looked like a little angel still shining with Heaven's light. Our first family memory. Perfect moment. (I know that was a little cheesy but that's how it was and now I'm crying.)

She has been crawling for a while but lately has been very interested in pulling up. It seems like her toys have totally lost her interest and all she wants to do is crawl up to me or the couch and pull up. Up and down, up and down...all day it seems. And of course it makes me terribly nervous. I don't feel like she has a real handle on getting down safely. Sometimes she lets go of the couch and just plops onto her bottom. I'm sure it doesn't hurt but it scares me...and sometimes her too. Her face scrunches up and a little 'Ahhhhh' creeps from her mouth. It gets louder and louder until its a full-on wail! She doesn't always land on her bottom either. Many times she goes stiff and will fall backwards or sideways hitting her head on the wood floors. Not fun.

Lately we have found that Mady is a good singer. She will sit in her car seat or in the living room floor and sing to herself. She writes her own songs too. I'll be driving around Norman and hear a gentle 'Ahh-ahh-ahh'. Its a Mady-original just for me. I love it!

Our little girl is becoming more grown-up and independent every day. It seems like she smiles and laughs more everyday too. Its exciting but a little bittersweet too. We are so proud of her. I don't know why God chose to give the cutest creature ever made to us, but I sure am glad He did.



No comments: